Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Slowly getting there

Nick is doing better, slowly. He has not had a seizure since Monday-yay! The Keppra seems to be doing its job. His breathing is much better as well, he is not laboring to breath anymore. Unfortunately, he has to stay on the oxygen for awhile longer. Every time we try to take him off of it his sats drop to 88 or 89ish. So his bronchiolitis is from RSV. The initial rapid test was negative but the attending doctor said that they have had a couple rapid tests come back negative but the culture came back positive. So at least we know what caused his issues. He started to eat a little last night but this morning is refusing the bottle again....hopefully he is just tired.
On a brighter note, his plastic surgeon came by this morning and said his lip looks great. But it will probably take a little longer than normal to heal just because his body is using so much energy for fighting off infection and recovering from the seizures.
So to be able to go home Nick has to be off the oxygen and eating normally for 24 hours. Hopefully it will be tomorrow, but it's not looking too promising. I am not pushing anything because I want him as well as possible before bringing him home, I want to know he's okay.
It's been hard for Brianna and Benjamin while we've been at the hospital. We try to bring them up here but it's hard for them to be constrained to such a small area and not being able to touch anything! But they are troopers and will bounce back as soon as we get home and are able to spend some time together.
Thanks so much for all the comments and prayers, each one means so much!
Thank you for the continued prayers and hopefully we will get home soon!

7 comments:

  1. I just tried writing a comment but dont think it went through so I'm sorry if you get two of these. We just wanted to say how sorry we are that baby Nikolas has been going through so much these past few days. We are so sorry that you, as his parents, have to watch him go through it all. Please know we will be wrapping your family up in love, hugs, and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending ou lots of good thoughts and prayers for a full recover <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet he'll be eating and breathing great really soon. I'm actually hoping by the time I'm posting this he's already doing a ton better and you'll be updating us from home. :)
    Feel better Nikolas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like you could use a little pick me up. I hope that you get a good night's rest and that little Nikolas is peacefully sleeping as well. Tomorrow is a new day and I pray that it's filled with happy moments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Will be praying for your family. My son was sick as a baby as well. Some hospital stays, surgery and a lot of exhausting nights. That God comforts you and holds you close to him. I will pray that your energy and attitude do not match your situation... I remember asking God for energy and a positive attutide even though my entire body was resisting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your precious baby are in my thoughts and prayers! Speedy recovery Nick!

    ReplyDelete